Saturday, July 12, 2008

7/12/08 the iPhone saga continues

I'm at the library. Rodney couldn't call me (because I have no phone) to say he would be late. Fortunatley, Farmington is a small enough town that he called the library, asked Lisa at the desk if she knew who I was and would she mind relaying a message. So when I arrived, I got the word. Now that's a full-service library!

I diddled around awhile, waiting, and then decided to see what I could find on the web. No interesting solutions in Google. Most people who had brick problems were having messages about accessing the iTunes store. I didn't see any postings for the error messages I was having. So I decided to open iTunes and just see what would happen. I plugged in my phone and got the favorite "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." So I clicked "Recover" again and this time, it went to search for software, announced that it had found iPhone 2.0 software, made me click on an "I agree" button for terms of service for the new software. Whooop! Maybe there's hope!

It's been 40 minutes now and the only message I have is: "iTunes is currently busy downloading software for the iPhone "iPhone". (I never did give my iPhone a very interesting name, hence the quotes around "iPhone," which is its default name.)

It took over an hour for the software to download. when it finished, nothing happened, so I clicked "restore". It extracted software and looked like it was going to do something. Then I got the message "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6)."

No comments: